Sexual arousal is our bodies response to being sexually stimulated. When our five senses (touch, sound, taste, smell, see) get stimulated either in reality or fantasy we experience the feelings of pleasure that come along with it.
Pleasure is personal, not universal. Thus making one gal’s passion for pleasure can be another's poison. Successful sexual arousal asks the we learn the language of our partner's bodies and mind with the same interest in detail we give to ourselves. If we've been neglecting getting to know ourselves now would be a great time to start!
Here are a few suggestions to help enhance sexual pleasure with our mate:
1. Touch: Erogenous zones are the freeways of pleasure. They are the gateway to, “More, please!” Mapquest is not needed for these pleasure highways and taking the time to explore and find them is way better than the quickest route. Try giving your special someone a sensual massage or use a feather, fetish flogger or fingers to gently trace their naked body---explore!
2. Sound: Ears have a lot of nerve endings making them quite the erogenous zone! Technique is key for this zone. Try a little whisper (not shout), use the tongue to lick the ear but careful not to drown it (wink), suck on an earlobe or gently inhale (yes, inhale) a breath into a partner’s ear.
*When blowing air into the ear, use the nostrils, the ears are very sensitive, not the mouth to avoid creating a sound that’s similar to a tornado. Create a little sensual anticipation by whispering sex talk
3. Taste: Lickable body powder, flavored lubes and condoms or the natural way our partner tastes all play a huge role in enhancing our sexual pleasure. There are so many foods like strawberries, chocolate and truffles that are aphrodisiacs if we want to go old school to raise our libido.
4. Smell: Besides using our smell to pick a partner (pheromones), essential oils can also enhance our sexual play. Certain scents trigger the limbic system which triggers libido. Ylang-Ylang, lavender and rose have all been show to stimulate our sexual appetites. There is even a study that shows the smell of licorice and doughnuts increased blood flow a man’s penis by 32% while ladies preferred the smell of licorice and cucumbers to get their sexual juices flowing.
Make sure to test out scents before using them on a lover as the wrong smell can turn off a mate just as quickly as they got turned on.
5. See: Blind her or him with pleasure. Blindfolds can be lots of fun. Our eyes and brain are in a partnership. We see whatever our brains think we should see. But take away one sense and the others become stronger which could make for a very titillating sexual experience. Otherwise, the sight of the person we have affection for is usually enough to make us go wild. If all else fails, or to spice things up…watching porn together can be very exciting!
Enhancing our sexual pleasure can be done in many ways. There are so many options to help us enhance our sexual pleasure and the only requirement is---our willingness to do so. Communicate often and explore pleasurably!
Author: Heather Dawn